Here are some photos of the progress I made last weekend...
To prep the tank, I used pinstriping tape to very carefully follow the red circle around the filler hole. Then I used blue painters tape to surround the pinstriping tape.
I stuffed the hole with a ball of masking tape and a circle cut out of paper. You can also see the pinstriping tape I used in the hole to keep the black paint from going too far into the tank. That way I can clear over it and (hopefully) create a protective layer so gas can't get under the clear again.
I protected the rest of the tank by taping sheets of printer paper to it.
I sprayed a few coats of gloss black and metalcast red.
Then I removed all the masking tape. The little scratches are from when I scuffed up the clearcoat to prep for paint. I will be adding more clearcoat so they'll disappear.
For the fender, I used blue painters tape to cover the lace paintjob between the pinstripes.
I suspended the fender by wire so I could take care of the top and bottom at the same time. Then I sprayed gloss black and metalcast red all over it. This is after the masking tape was removed.
Here's a better shot after I took it down off the wires.
I am in the process of clearing the tank and fender right now. Pics soon.