When I was at the swap meet in Anoka last month, I picked up a few pins intended for hats, jackets, vests, or whatever. I picked up two of this oval Sportster pin thinking I might be able to use them emblems of sorts. They are roughly 1 3/4" x 3/4".
I cut the two pins off the back and sanded the back smooth. Then I started to sand the silver parts on the front since they were quite rough and metal began to flake off. Clearly, they were plated.
I used lacquer thinner to take the original black paint off.
Then I sanded it a lot more and sprayed it the whole front black.
A week later, I sanded the front to remove the black from the raised sections and edges.
After cleaning it up, I sprayed a few coats of clear. Here are the results side by side with the pin I haven't modified. The modified pin is much smoother.
I used 3M Super Strength Molding Tape to attach it to my handlebar riser clamp. Here it is installed.