I performed 5 tasks:
- Cleaned the bugs off the front of the bike that have been stuck there for a few months
- Fixed the neutral light that was broken all last year
- Replaced/relocated the choke
- Cleaned the air cleaner filter
- Put new tabs on the license plate (now legal 'til Feb 2013!)
The neutral light was out all last year. Ever since I relocated the speedo to the left side of the bike, it hasn't worked. I assumed it was a wiring issue or loose bulb and was just too lazy to troubleshoot it last year. I was just really, really careful when letting the clutch out all year long.
Anyway, I pulled the indicator lights and inspected the bulbs. Sure enough, the neutral light was burned out.
The Harley part number for the bulbs is 68024-94 but a quick search online showed that almost any auto parts store carries bulbs that will fit. It only cost $4 for 2 bulbs. Keep in mind that my 2004 still uses bulbs, not LED boards like the newer models.
Let there be light!
It turns out that it would have been a really quick & easy fix to do anytime last year. I wish I would have done it sooner.