With the lace panels done, the next step was to paint the rest of the tank and fender. It might have been easier to paint the panels last - I'm not really sure. If not easier, it might have been less stressful - I was worried about messing up all my progress up to this point.
Once again, I started with the fender. Because I was worried about putting masking tape directly over my freshly painted lace panels, I went to the hardware store and bought special Scotch Blue tape for delicate surfaces. It has a lower tack than normal blue tape, which is already pretty gentle.
I taped along the pinstripes, covering up my lace "racing stripe".
Then I sprayed a few coats of Dupli-Color Gloss Black.
Then I peeled off the blue masking tape. I was relieved to find none of my recently painted lace lifted or was messed up in any way.
Next, I pulled up the pinstriping tape. The lines were crisp and looked great.
If you look closely, the "fogged" area where I airbrushed looks like it has a slightly gray fog to it. This was noticeable but I hoped the next step would fix it and it did.
The next step was to spray Dupli-Color Metalcast Red Anodized paint over the whole thing. It's a transparent red and made the red in the lace & pinstripes even deeper. It completely fixed the gray fog. It should also provide a thin protective layer above the lace to wet sand before the clear coat. I think it turned out amazing and can't wait to repeat this process with the tank, even though it will be a lot more complicated to mask and paint.
More to come in Part 6...