Click "Blog" above to see my latest posts. Click on any picture to see a larger version. Click "Older Posts" at the bottom to go to the next page. Feel free to comment on any post.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ignition Relocation Complete

When I started doing the wire tuck and tank lift, I decided to relocate my ignition too.  Why not, right?

I made a bracket (see this post) and modified & painted a PVC pipe cap to function as the back of the ignition switch (see this post).

After carefully removing all the wire wrapping, I had a ton of extra wire leading to the ignition switch.

I marked the wires (since two of the three were red) and cut nearly 12" out of them.  I used waterproof butt splices and crimped them tight to rejoin the wires.

Then I covered them with Kuryakyn Roundit wire wrapping.  It's the first time I've used it and the stuff is great- highly recommended.

I then applied some clear silicone glue to inside of my modified PVC cap. and pressed it to the back of the switch housing.  The matte black paint I used on the cap matched pretty well.

I used the stock star washer with my custom bracket and bolted it to the switch housing.

Here is the complete assembly installed from the air cleaner side of the bike.  The wiring is secured with zip ties away from the engine and exhaust.

Here is the finished product.  I tried sitting on the bike and the switch is easy to very reach to while seated.  Of course, I may have to remove my keychain since it may melt in its new position.

No comments:

Click "Older Posts" to go to the next page.