Click "Blog" above to see my latest posts. Click on any picture to see a larger version. Click "Older Posts" at the bottom to go to the next page. Feel free to comment on any post.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winter Progress (Or Lack Thereof)

At the start of winter, I had a relatively small (but ambitious) list of projects that I wanted to complete on the Sportster before Spring, mostly centered around changing my gas tank:
  • Change tank (seal & paint)
  • Change seat (because of tank change)
  • Change risers & clamp (because of tank change)
  • Relocate Speedo (because of tank change)
  • Shave Forks (remove fender tabs)
  • Repair damage caused by fall on ice
    • Replace rear brake lever & bolts
    • Replace mirror
    • Replace or sand/re-paint front brake lever
Clearly, the list above wasn't challenging enough so I have added the following projects to it:
  • Repaint rear fender and relocate flying eyeball emblem
  • Repaint horn cover
  • Fabricate custom indicator light mount
  • Tank Lift (includes making custom brackets)
  • Wire Tuck
  • Relocate ignition (includes making custom ignition bracket and chopping coil bracket)
  • Change spark plug wires
  • Change carb cover
  • Extend gas tank vent hose since new tank has different location
  • Change valve stem caps on air shocks
It went from being an ambitious list to a very ambitious list.  Here's my current status on each project:
  • Tank: Stock tank removed, new tank purchased, not sealed or painted yet
  • Seat: Done!
  • Risers and Clamp: Done!
  • Speedo: Speedo removed, clamp purchased, backplate ordered
  • Forks: Not started
  • Repairs:
    • Rear brake lever & bolts: Purchased lever, shift peg, and bolts.  Painted bolts.  Need to chop lever to use shift peg.
    • Mirror: Received as gift
    • Front brake lever: Not started
  • Rear Fender: Not Started
  • Horn Cover: Not Started
  • Custom indicator light mount: In progress (very time consuming)
  • Tank lift: Done!
  • Wire Tuck: In progress
  • Ignition: Brackets done, just need to figure out how I want to secure and hide the wiring
  • Spark Plug Wires: Done!
  • Carb cover: In progress but is more difficult to replace than anticipated
  • Vent hose: Not started
  • Valve Stem Caps: Purchased
I won't consider sealing or painting the tank until it gets a little warmer.  I will probably save the fork-shaving for last since it's only a "nice-to-have" mod and can be done anytime.  Everything else needs to get done before I can ride.  I realize Spring is still a while away but I have a lot to do.  My current focuses are the indicator mount, the wiring, and carb cover.  Progress has been steady but slow.  I'll get some fresh pics up soon.

No comments:

Click "Older Posts" to go to the next page.