After getting a little carried away with the wire tuck, I decided to relocate my ignition switch. The spot I chose was in the area above the derby cover, below the battery, and next to the starter motor.
There is a grounding bolt that I planned to use to help mount it. Here it is looking at it from the air cleaner side of the bike. I already removed the nut that kept the two wires in place.
My next step was to bust out my trusty cutting wheel and cut off a piece of 1/8" thick 1.5" x 1.5" steel angle.
It took some trial and error but I made a paper template that fit the area because I wanted to match the curve of the starter motor so my bracket would stay put once mounted.
I traced the curve from the template to the steel I cut.
I then used my cutting wheel (for big chunks) and Dremel (for finer detail) to match the curve, being careful not to grind away too much.
I then drilled out the hole and test mounted it. I used the Dremel to take off just enough steel from the curve to make a great fit. Once the grounding bolt is tightened, the bracket won't be able to move at all.
Here's the view from the other side of the bike. It is very level and looks like a little table.
Here is the ignition switch sitting on top of the bracket for full effect (at this point only held on by zip ties). Of course, I'll clean up the wiring too.
I then drilled another hole in the bracket and rounded off the corners. This will allow the ignition switch to be mounted securely, similar to the way it used to mount to the coil bracket. I plan to buy a cheap PVC cap and paint it black to cover the back of the switch housing.
I cleaned up the steel and primed the bracket to be painted later.
Here's one of the pics in color.
I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's always surprising how long it takes to make such a tiny part.
Once Spring is finally here, I wonder how long it will take me to adjust to having the key in the new position. I bet I keep looking for it in the stock position for a while.